[Samba] ms office and 3.3.1

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 9 16:19:55 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:19:22AM -0400, Bob Rohde wrote:
> I upgraded from 3.2.7 to 3.3.1 and am having the most peculiar problem
> with Microsoft Office 2007 and samba shares. Users can open a share,
> create, edit and delete files/folders with no problem. But when a user
> opens a file on a samba share in any Office application, for example
> Word, and clicks 'Save' then a dialog box opens: "Access denied. Contact
> your administrator". This behavior is consistent on Solaris 9 and 10 and
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 systems. There is no such problem with 3.2.7
> so for the time being I've rolled back to that version. Any help or

Sorry, this is a known bug we discovered after 3.3.1 ship.
Turns out that Office2007 wants to use the SACL (security
audit acl) feature on Windows servers and fails in the way
you see if the remote server doesn't fail in *exactly* the
right way.

This will be fixed in 3.3.2, due out Thursday of this week.

Sorry for the problem.

Jeremy.