[Samba] nmbd acting as a wins server gives negative query response for hosts and lmhosts addresses

Marco Bisetto marco.bisetto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:51:22 GMT 2009

Dear all,

I'm setting up a wins server configuration with Samba 3.0.24

###
	interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast
	preferred master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
###

Before setting dhcp to instruct the clients to use this wins server,
I'm trying to make certain it's working correctly.

The command:

$ nmblookup -U localhost -R prova2

gives:

Negative name query response, rcode 0x03: The name requested does not exist.
name_query failed to find name prova2

Even if prova2 is in /etc/samba/lmhosts. The same thing happens for
prova1 which is in /etc/hosts

If I set dns proxy = yes in smb.conf then prova1 is resolved (through
DNS lookup says the log of nmbd), but (as expected) nothing changes for
prova2.

In synthesis: nmbd gives a negative name query response for the
addresses in hosts and lmhosts, but a positive response for addresses
in hosts when acting as a dns proxy.

Is this normal?

In nmbd log I see that lmhosts is loaded at startup:
---
[2009/03/06 14:43:45, 3] nmbd/nmbd_namelistdb.c:add_name_to_subnet(247)
  add_name_to_subnet: Added netbios name PROVA2<20> with first IP 192.168.1.112
ttl=0 nb_flags= 4 to subnet 192.168.1.71
---
I see that subnet is the IP address of the server and this also seems
strange to me.

Thanks.

--
Marco Bisetto