[Samba] how to access samba server from remote location

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:29:53 GMT 2009

hi:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Muthukumaran Saravanan
<saravanan at ccatgroup.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have redhat 9 linux server configured with samba server. We have share
> folder in which we have lot of information. We want to all the users from
> our different branch office to access the samba server and share the
> information.

How are connected your branc offices? Are they communicating trough a
VPN connection? If yes, then I think that NetBIOS among other
broadcast traffic will not pass trough this VPN connection.

So all the remote users have to do is poing to the Samba server by its
IP address and their corresponding share name. Something like this it
would be executed at Windows:

\\IP_ADDRESS\sharename

Once connected, they will be able to use that share as a drive.