[Samba] Adding existing ldap users as Samba users

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:01:54 GMT 2009

Hi people:

I have a LDAP server running OpenLDAP that serves authentication
purposes to services like ftp, imap, openvpn, etc. Now I implemented a
Samba PDC based on LDAP.
I did the configuration with Samba 3.2.5 on Debian Etch and
smbldap-tools. I was able to join a WinXP workstation to my domain
without problems but I can't login with any existing user in my LDAP
directory.

Then I added my user to the Samba database with "smbpasswd -a myuser"
with the same current password of myuser. Now, I need to enable all
LDAP users as Samba users but I don't want to run "smbpasswd" for
every user because I don't know their passwords.

What could be the solution to convert all my ldap users as samba
users? Simply adding the corresponding objectClass and samba
attributes to the users ldap entries would be enough? If this is true,
what value should I use for sambaNTPassword, sambaPasswordHistory,
sambaSID, among other samba attributes?

I hope some can help me a bit :(

Thanks :)