[Samba] VMmware Converter Split into 2GB files - Samba Share

James Robertson JamesR at 3rdmill.com.au
Thu Mar 5 10:03:52 GMT 2009

I have an Ubuntu 8.04.2 Linux Server setup with Samba installed with
Ubuntu Version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4

I have setup a samba share for a Windows 2000 Server to perform a P2V
(Physical to Virtual) conversion of it to the Samba Share.

When going through the conversion process using Vmware converter on the
Windows 2000 machine I point the destination to the samba share but it
does not allow me to unselect the option to "split into 2GB files".  I
want to use a single large file for the VM.

The file system on the Linux server where the samba share is located is
XFS.

Is this something to do with Samba perhaps appearing as a file system
with a file size limit of 2GB?  If so how do I resolve it?

Thanks.