[Samba] performance problem with 3.2.8: unbuffered reads for some users

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Mar 4 18:50:17 GMT 2009

On 03/04/2009 06:35 PM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 06:21:27PM +0100, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:
>> The file isn't owned by the user that accesses it, so I guess the
>> CAP_LEASE capability should be necessary. But shouldn't strace show a
>> call to capset(2) between those two F_SETLEASE fcntl calls (0x400)?
>
> There is code to acquire CAP_LEASE, but this only is enabled
> if at compile HAVE_POSIX_CAPABILITIES is found. You might
> want to look at your config.log why this is not detected.

Got it!
Fedora's RPM spec file is missing a dependency on libcap-devel:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/samba/3.2.8/0.26.fc10/data/logs/i386/build.log

The previously used package was rebuilt by myself with libcap-devel so
it did (accidentally) include capabilities support!

I've filed a bugreport at redhats bugzilla since this seems to
dramatically affect performance.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
--leo

P.S.: After having rebuilt the samba package with capabilities,
everything works at normal speed again!

--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu-wien.ac.at
fax      ::: +43-1-31336-906050