[Samba] Can't modify ms word files with samba 3.3

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Mar 4 16:37:50 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:47:25AM +0100, Olivier Doremieux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the same problem with samba 3.3.0 and 3.3.1. I use to be able to
> edit some MS Word file on a shared network.
> What should I do to fix this problem? Is there a way to change some
> config file?

Can you get me a debug level 10 log of the problem. I've seen
some reports of this and usually it's requests from the clients
to open the files with the access bit SEC_FLAG_SYSTEM_SECURITY,
which is a privilege we don't support.

We *shouldn't* be allowing opens with this bit, as it is
specific to modifying security (audit) ACLs which normal
users don't have access to.

Can you try from the same clients against a Windows
server and see what is returned when clients request
an open with SEC_FLAG_SYSTEM_SECURITY set ? A wireshark
trace between a Word client and Windows server should
show this.

Jeremy.