[Samba] Input/Output error when saving to samba profile directory

Dave Newman davey.newman at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:54:03 GMT 2009

Well, I solved the problem. After using a network analyser, I found that the
Input/Output error was being caused by a STATUS_MEDIA_WRITE_PROTECTED, so I
knew it was definitely a permissions problem (annoying that it didn't expose
itself as a permissions error on the file system mount)

Knowing that the users could read and write to their profile directories
locally, then it definitely had to be in the way the profile directory was
being shared. I had assumed that in the absence of any other configuration,
then the linux permissions would hold, but Clearly I was wrong.

It was an incredibly simple change: I needed writable = yes in my profile
share, and this appears to have fixed the problem. Not sure why the default
smb.conf file didn't have this option for this share, but the amount of
hacking the file had had over the past few weeks, perhaps it was commented
out in the original.

In all, obviously  a newbie error. The main problem I had was that I
couldn't get anything to appear in the logs, and the error at the client
side was more akin to a network error than a filesystem permissions problem,
so I had real issues trying to zero in on the cause. Thankfully wireshark
pointed me in the direction to investigate.

Thanks for all of your help, and hopefully this message might appear on
people's searches in the future.

Bye for now!