[Samba] Linux member server, or something else?

Norberto Bensa nbensa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 03:59:16 GMT 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:11 PM, John Drescher<drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a Samba PDC with an LDAP backend password database, against which
>> WinXP clients authenticate. I also have a Ubuntu workstation, which
>> authenticates directly to the same LDAP password database (no Samba).
>>
>> I now wish to have the WinXP clients be able to map shares on the Ubuntu
>> workstation, so I obviously need to get Samba working on it. I can slog
>> through the technical details, but I want to make sure I have the concept
>> properly figured out - will the Ubuntu workstation be a "member server",
>> configured as such per the Samba documentation using Winbind, or is there a
>> different way I should be thinking about this?
>>
>> Thanks for any general pointers.
>>

> That is what I have with my samba setup. I mean I have a PDC, a BDC, 3
> to 5 LDAP servers and 5 or so member servers. On my PDC and BDC there
> are no real file shares. The member servers have that. My member
> servers have winbind.

At work, we're in the process of starting a migration of our Windows
XP clients to Ubuntu.

My PDC is a Samba server running on Ubuntu Hardy with LDAP backend.

I'm testing with my workstation (Ubuntu Jaunty). Samba uses the PDC as
a password server. Users and groups are read from LDAP via nsswitch
(i.e. nothing about LDAP in smb.conf on the client). Also, no winbind.

It seems to work, but I want to know if I'm missing something.

Why should I run winbind?
If I need to run winbind, does it need to run on server _and_ clients?

Many thanks in advance,
Norberto