[Samba] Linux member server, or something else?

Dave Beach drbeach at rogers.com
Tue Jun 30 01:00:41 GMT 2009

Hello list!

I have a Samba PDC with an LDAP backend password database, against which
WinXP clients authenticate. I also have a Ubuntu workstation, which
authenticates directly to the same LDAP password database (no Samba).

I now wish to have the WinXP clients be able to map shares on the Ubuntu
workstation, so I obviously need to get Samba working on it. I can slog
through the technical details, but I want to make sure I have the concept
properly figured out - will the Ubuntu workstation be a "member server",
configured as such per the Samba documentation using Winbind, or is there a
different way I should be thinking about this?

Thanks for any general pointers.