[Samba] Join to Linux domain

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Sun Jun 28 08:21:53 GMT 2009

On Sunday 28 June 2009 08:47:23 Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> Dear all,
> I create a PDC.
> But when i use :
> join rpc join mylove.com -U mohsen -I 127.0.0.1
> i get following error:
> debian:/home/mohsen# net rpc join mylove.com -U mohsen -I 127.0.0.1
> Enter mohsen's password:
> [2009/06/28 11:12:31,  0]
> utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(259)
>   could not open domain: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> Unable to join domain WORKGROUP.

You need an account with "Administrator" privileges to join a machine to a
domain. With Samba, this usually is either root or an account mapped to root.

However, from your smb.conf file

---8<----
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    domain logons = yes
>    prefered master = yes
---8<----

I understand that this is the DC. You don't need to join the DC to itself. Or
is the error you have reported from a different host?

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin