[Samba] Samba configuration issue

David Christensen David.Christensen at viveli.com
Fri Jun 26 21:29:33 GMT 2009

John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:
> David Christensen wrote:
>> John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:

>>> You possibly have a file /etc/samba/smbusers in which there is a mapping
>>> as follows:
>>> root = administrator
>>> Tell me it's not true!
>>> - John T.

>>  I do have /etc/samba/smbusers in which there is a mapping
>> as follows:
>>
>> root = administrator
>>
>> However it was not specified in smb.conf until today, when I tried to
>> "use" it.
>
> OK, but what does testparm tell you about the default configuration for
> your system?
>
> 	testparm -sv | grep username
>
> If the parameter "username map" is not mapped to /etc/samba/smbusers,
> the issue is isolated to the mappings of the "root" and "administrator"
> accounts and their respective uid/gid.
>
> - John T.

"username map" is no longer mapped to /etc/samba/smbusers, I commented
it out so it looks like the issue is indeed isolated to the mappings of
the root and administrator accounts.

How do I permit the Administrator account the access level it needs
without squashing root on every box?

This is what I currently have:

[root at ldap2 profiles]# getent passwd | grep :0:0
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
Administrator:x:0:0:Samba Admin:/root:/bin/bash