[Samba] Re: Samba Interactive mode in OpenWRT

Fri Jun 26 14:19:23 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:50:02AM -0700, Kunal Punjabi wrote:
> The samba server is only waiting for samba connections if I use the -i
> (interactive) mode. Any idea how I can get my samba server to listen for
> and accept requests automatically (in non-interactive mode)?
>

> I found that
>
> smbd -i &
>
> (to start the service and put it in the background) seems to work and
> the server is waiting for incoming connections.
>

> Although samba.init contains a command: "smbd -D" in its Start()
> function, that does not start the service.
>

> why do I not need this option under uClinux (smbd -D just seems to work
> and cause the service to start)?

Sorry, I have no experience with nClinux. In general, I
would strongly recommend using Samba on a CPU with proper
memory protection, running without a MMU seems a bit risky
to me.

The way I would attack this is to run

strace -f -o smbd.trace smbd -D

and analyze smbd.strace the socket calls like socket(),
bind() and listen() for spurious errors.

Volker