R: [Samba] enabling "null session" on a share

Alessandro Tinivelli alessandro.tinivelli at monrif.net
Thu Jun 25 13:29:22 GMT 2009

thanks! I found the setting I actually need is "map to guest = Bad
Password"...

i will try to evaluate about security issues involved by this global
setting.... any comment is appreciated.

Thanks again Dave

Da: Dale Schroeder [mailto:dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com]

Alessandro Tinivelli wrote:

Good day to all, we have a Samba 3.0.33 in ADS mode, and we have been
asked to enable "null session" on the share [prova] (my smb.conf is
below).
I have googled a bit and i have still many doubts: if we put in share
definition the "guest ok = yes", will the [prova] will be able to accept
null sessions from an process running on a XP station? Will the process
be able to delete files?

Additionally, I think you will also need
    [global]
    map to guest = bad user

Of course, the posix permissions must also allow guest access.  Details
below.
Otherwise, this should work, as long as you can deal with the security
risks involved with null sessions.