[Samba] Very slow transfers to Samba on Ubuntu

Raghu A raghua1111+nabble at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:45:53 GMT 2009

There is no disk or CPU bottleneck or virus checking (server is latest
ubuntu). scp at the same time as this transfer can write 3-4 faster to the
same partition. This is an Atom processor but there is more cpu left.

To be more specific:

Why does XP send only 1KB at a time to the server? I think this is pretty
much the culprit. I can send decoded TCP dump of initial SMB handshake if
you are interested. There seems to be some configuration mismatch.

When I tried a Ubuntu samba client it sends 4KB SMB packets. This helps a
lot with the transfer rate. Btw, looks like most of the CPU consumed by smbd
is per packet.. so inceasing this packet size reduces CPU as well.

Raghu.