[Samba] impossible to set permissions on directory from windows?

Alessandro Tinivelli alessandro.tinivelli at monrif.net
Wed Jun 24 14:48:38 GMT 2009

Hi, I'm using samba 3.0.33 and i cannot understand why from a windows
client i am able to set permissions on files but not on directories I
have created.

This is my smb.conf

---------------------------------
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = DOMAIN.DOM
        server string = NAS03 (Samba %v)
        security = ADS
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind nss info = rfc2307

[provalgf]
        comment = ricezione file da lgf
        path = /storage/samba/GCP/provaavalon/lgf
        valid users = DOMAIN\lgf
        force group = gcp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
---------------------------------

I am using the [provalgf] connecting from windows (XP) as DOMAIN\lgf:
-I can create a file "test.txt" and modify its permissions
-I can create "TEST" directory which appears like noone has any
permission on it, and it's impossible to change those perms. But i can
still delete and rename it

This samba behaviour can be controlled/modified? For my needs setting
"full control to everyone" on every file and directory would be good.

Thanks in advance
--
alessandro