[Samba] "pdbedit -P ..." not affecting all users/howtoforce one user to change password

mamgdzies at tlen.pl mamgdzies at tlen.pl
Wed Jun 24 10:04:21 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm using samba 3.2.41 at Debian Lenny.

I have some users in my smbpasswd file, now I'm trying to force them to change password once a given period.
#pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 300
Above-mentioned command is affecting ONLY "new" users (users created after first first launch of this command), "old" users are not affected, passwords doesn't expire.

Why is this working like that? What I can do?

Second case is: How to force one user to change password at next login? I assume that pdbedit option "must login to change password" should be used for that, but how to run it for one user?

I have try smbpasswd, tdbsam and ldap user databases (using pdbedit import-export feature).

I would be pleased for your help.

Regards.