[Samba] samba 3.0.28 + ldap domain update to 3.0.33 is save?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 07:02:51 GMT 2009

> I have I have 1 server(gentoo) running samba 3.0.28+ldap as domain of
> my winboxes, running:
>
> dev-perl/perl-ldap-0.34
> dev-python/python-ldap-2.2.1
> net-nds/openldap-2.3.43
> net-nds/smbldap-tools-0.9.4-r1
> sys-auth/nss_ldap-258
> sys-auth/pam_ldap-183
>
> Emerge is offering me samba 3.0.33 and other ports that works with
> samba, just wondering is someone have already update samba from 3.0.28
> to 3.0.33 and if save to do this, I just don't want to break my
> current samba domain with ldap.

I consider any thing less than 3.0.35 unsafe (since there are known
bugs and exploits) so do that upgrade. BTW, I am running gentoo
servers in my production environment. Because of the slowness of the
adoption of packages I bump my own ebuilds in my gentoo overlay.

http://github.com/drescherjm/jmdgentoooverlay/tree/cad0a4a6a77820c3ccf37e0a44caaa5da391c54f/net-fs/samba

John