[Samba] Very slow transfers to Samba on Ubuntu

Raghu A raghua1111+nabble at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 17:38:28 GMT 2009

I mounted a samba volume on XP. XP and Ubuntu are connected over 100Mbps
ethernet (router).

I am writing a 4GB file from XP to Ubuntu and the transfer is extremely slow
: only around 1-1.5 MB/s.

This is not a network or disk issue since at the same time this transfer is
gonig on, I can scp the same file from XP to Ubuntu at 3-4 times faster
(around 6MB/s).

What could be wrong? Even for this slow transfer, smbd seems to be taking
quite a bit CPU (more than sshd for the transfer rate).

Reading from Ubuntu on this Samba volume is not much faster. only above
3MB/s.

It is pretty surprising. Please let me know if you need any more info about
the problem.

The only changes I made to smb.conf are for adding shares. I have latest
Ubuntu Jaunty packages.

FYI: netstat on the connection from XP on Ubuntu shows around 1K of data on
receive buffer. Seems to indicate smbd is not processing fast enough.

Thanks,
Raghu.