[Samba] Samba mounted home shares will break many applications

Bob Smith rwsmith at bislink.net
Mon Jun 22 22:57:23 GMT 2009

I didn't get any responses to my previous post "Wine broken on Samba
shares due to colon ":" filenames" so I am re-posting with a subject to
reflect what I now believe to the the root cause of my problems.

I recently changed from mounting my home directory using NFS to mounting
with CIFS via the pam module pam_mount.so. It turns out that I am having
problems with many applications that are embedding any of the Samba
reserved characters "\ / : * ? " < > |", principally the colon ":". Here
is a short list of applications that I use that embed the colon in files
within their respective configuration directories in the home directory:

Evolution
Wine
Picasa (via wine)
VNC
Opera
Pulse Audio
Nautilus
Rhythmbox (if your track name has a colon)

Possibly many others. Some apps gracefully handle any problems, many
others don't.

I am positive that I have enabled Unix Extensions on my Samba server.
Here is a snippet of my smb.conf for the Samba server serving the home
shares:
[global]
  unix extensions = yes
  case sensitive = yes
  delete readonly = yes

  dos charset =
  unix charset = UTF8

On my client workstation (Ubuntu Karmic Koala (latest)) I have the
following output from /proc/fs/cifs:
$ cat LinuxExtensionsEnabled
1
$ cat DebugData
Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.55
Active VFS Requests: 0
Servers:
1) Name: 192.168.1.4  Domain: BISLINK Uses: 3 OS: Unix
	NOS: Samba 3.3.2-0.33.fc11	Capability: 0x80f3fd
	SMB session status: 1	TCP status: 1
	Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
	Shares:
	1) \\san01\work Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0x1002f
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 0x1 type: 0

	2) \\san01\business Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes:
0x1002f
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 0x1 type: 0

	3) \\san01\finances Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes:
0x1002f
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 0x1 type: 0

	MIDs:

I would appreciate any assistance with this issue. I will provide
additional information upon request to anyone willing to help me look
into this problem.

Regards,
Bob
--bs