[Samba] changing the character set.

steve steve at greengecko.co.nz
Mon Jun 22 03:53:41 GMT 2009

Hi list,

I've set up a simple domain providing shared disk space to a small
company. As an extension of this, I've connected satellite office via
openvpn, and am mounting a chare on that site over cifs, and backing it
up on to the main domain storage.

This remote share is on windows XP, and it's throwing up a couple of
errors due to incompatible wide characters -

cp: cannot create regular file `/backup/My Documents/New Folder//\302
\267 test.gif': Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

Is it possible to change the character set on the target share now it's
in use, and what are the ramifications???

Cheers,

Steve
--
Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>