[Samba] Set up Samba client to backup Windows XP home edition files

rocky Ou rockysynergy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:04:21 GMT 2009

Hey,

It seems that samba client could be used to back up Windows files. Am
I right?

To achieve this, I apt-get installed samba and set up it accordingly.
Below is my smb.conf file
/*==============Begin=============*/
[global]
       workgroup = HWWKM
       os level = 65
       preferred master = Yes
       domain master = Yes
       wins support = Yes

[KMOfficeShare]
       comment = For backup
       path = /home/samba
       read only = No
/*========End===============*/
>From my Windows XP home edition's Network Neighborhood I can see
KMOfficeShare folder and can create file in it.

At my Windows XP home edition machine, I have set WINS server IP to
samba server IP and changed the workgroup to HWWKM for Windows
machine.

The smbclient -L gives me the below output:
/*============Smbclient Begin==================*/
hww-debian1:/etc/samba# smbclient -L localhost
Enter root's password:
Domain=[HWW-DEBIAN1] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

       Sharename       Type      Comment
       ---------       ----      -------
       IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.2.5)
       KMOfficeShare   Disk      For backup
Domain=[HWW-DEBIAN1] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

       Server               Comment
       ---------            -------

       Workgroup            Master
       HWWKM                HWW-DEBIAN1
The Windows XP machine (named hww-laptop) is not listed at all.

I'm runing Debian Lenny with Samba 3.2.5 installed. Can any of you
tell me what I need to do to be able to use smbclient to access the
Windows XP files and do the back up please? I really appreciate your
help.

Blessings,
Rocky