[Samba] weird permissions issue

JJB onephatcat at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 22:56:35 GMT 2009

Dale Schroeder wrote:
> I don't know if you've solved this or not, but have you checked the
> acl's with getfacl. (I noticed all the "inherit acl" statements.)
> I once had this problem, and it was caused by the creation of default
> acl's that overrode all other permissions.  Since I did not create
> them on the Samba server, it had to have happened by someone adjusting
> permissions through the Windows clients.  After removing
> the default acl, all returned to normal.
>
> This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking.
>
> Dale

Hi Dale,

Most likely you are correct. I've never used the acl commands before, we
didn't know they existed, we've been attacking the problem from a linux
permissions standpoint.

getfacl returns for the parent folder

# file: data/engineering/beta/Builds
# owner: hankj
# group: eng
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

and for the folder in question:

# file: Mac
# owner: jimd
# group: eng
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

How do I delete these acls with the setfacl command? trying to figure
out syntax, but not getting anywhere.

- Joel