[Samba] Samba & LDAP, with XP and Linux clients

Quinn Fissler qfissler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:07:04 GMT 2009

As you probably realilse, the two separate areas are what samba requires in
ldap and what Linux requires - it's likely that you've only populated the
samba required stuff.

Think of ldap like a /etc/passwd file with many more columns. You only have
the columns for samba but most of the Linix/POSIX columns are missing.

There are many ways to deal with this! Too many :-/

but they're all fun :-)

ldapmodify is one to look at - you can adjust various items.

you could export the whole ldap db using slapcat and then tidy the whole
thing before importing it back...

I think that both require some extra steps and as soon as you look at them,
you'll see which approach suits you.