[Samba] Samba & LDAP, with XP and Linux clients

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Jun 19 10:54:21 GMT 2009

Hi,

> Executing "getent group" on the Ubuntu client produces the expected results.
> Executing "getent passwd" does not; it only shows me a subset of the user
> accounts (notably, not my own account which was created prior to migration).

I am running successfully with the user accounts having the objectClass:

 inetOrgPerson
 posixAccount
 shadowAccount
 top

I think that posixAccount is necessary. Typically, objectClass person
is not what you jneed to store a Unix account, you need to have home
directory, shell, uid number, gid number, etc. and password to
authenticate a Unix user with LDAP.

Adding an objectClass or Attributes to an enxisting entry of your LDAP
will not break anything that is already working.

Bests,

Olivier