[Samba] RE: Samba with ADS

James Zuelow James_Zuelow at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Jun 16 00:14:39 GMT 2009

--8<-- snip -->8--

> If you have any advice and/or guidance, I would greatly
> appreciate it. Thank you!

The getent passwd trouble may be a red herring.

If you do not have these lines in smb.conf

 Winbind enum users = Yes
 Winbind enum groups = Yes

Then wbinfo -u will work, but getent passwd will not.

Generally you want to leave enumumerating users and groups turned off (the default) on larger domains.  In my experience having them turned on can delay share access, restart times, etc.

However enumerating users and groups so that getent passwd works is not necessary for shares to work correctly or users to map drives in AD.  (At least this is true for Debian, I don't know about Solaris.)

James