[Samba] * Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf smbd only

Leandro Tracchia ltracchia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:26:10 GMT 2009

Posts #25 and #26 from the ubuntu thread
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140094&page=3) were written
by me. From what I'm experiencing and noticing in the logs, I have to
agree that this problem is caused (or at least initiated) by dhclient.
Post #20 describes adding  > /dev/null to the reload call making the
last line of the file /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba  look
like this:

[ -x /etc/init.d/samba ] && /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d samba reload > /dev/null

This would suppress the reload call and therefore cause the message "*
Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf smbd only" (which is found in
/etc/init.d/samba) not to appear. However, I don't think suppressing
the reload call to prevent /etc/init.d/samba from reloading and
therefore causing the message not to appear is hardly the real
solution.

For some reason the message comes up right on the command line output
every ~5 minutes, which is frustrating when someone is trying to use
the command line and this message keeps getting in the way. Do we have
to somehow force this message to output to a log file instead of the
screen???