[Samba] Does this tell me anything? Traffic report

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Tue Jun 9 19:50:58 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 11:52 -0600, gregorcy wrote:

> Matt Burkhardt wrote:

> >> I am not to familiar with the passdb backend that you are using but don't you need a:
> >>
> >> security = <SOMETHING>
> >>
> >> In there somewhere.
> >>
> > The documentation says that it defaults to security = users, but I'll go
> > ahead and put it in.  My biggest problem is that I'm still not listening
> > on ports 137 and 139 with no error messages in either log.smbd or log.nmbd
> >>

> Is the samba server also the WINS server or is it supposed to use a different box.  If the samba server is the WINS
> server I think you would need something like this defined, in the global section:
>
> > wins support = yes
> > name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
>
> If it is not, I think you would need this:
>
> > wins server = x.x.x.x

I had turned wins support = off because I read that you only needed it
for Windows boxes pre-XP.  I went ahead and re-added them and put in the
name resolve order.  I'm still having the problem with getting

Error connecting to 192.168.1.100 (Connection refused)
Connection to Ubuntu failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

but here's my nmap

sudo nmap -sUT Ubuntu

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-06-09 15:46 EDT
Interesting ports on ubuntu.imparisystems.local (192.168.1.100):
Not shown: 3177 closed ports
PORT      STATE         SERVICE
22/tcp    open          ssh
53/tcp    open          domain
80/tcp    open          http
81/tcp    open          hosts2-ns
82/tcp    open          xfer
83/tcp    open          mit-ml-dev
111/tcp   open          rpcbind
389/tcp   open          ldap
443/tcp   open          https
631/tcp   open          ipp
901/tcp   open          samba-swat
3306/tcp  open          mysql
5001/tcp  open          commplex-link
5432/tcp  open          postgres
8009/tcp  open          ajp13
8080/tcp  open          http-proxy
10000/tcp open          snet-sensor-mgmt
53/udp    open|filtered domain
67/udp    open|filtered dhcps
69/udp    open|filtered tftp
111/udp   open|filtered rpcbind
137/udp   open|filtered netbios-ns
138/udp   open|filtered netbios-dgm
631/udp   open|filtered unknown
636/udp   open|filtered unknown

--
Matt Burkhardt, M.Sci. Technology Management
mlb at imparisystems.com
(301) 682-7901
502 Fairview Avenue
Frederick, MD  21701