RESOLVED: (sorta) Re: [Samba] Oplocks question

Terry Haley terry_haley at dfci.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 9 19:29:28 GMT 2009

Actually Dan that helps a lot. It tells me the amount of work and
effort it takes to bend this application in order to fit a mold it was
not intended for. In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and make my
PDC double as my primary file server. 45 mins of swapping an FC-nic,
remapping the lvm's and reconfiguring the smb.conf in order to make
this a non-issue and prevent more complexity proliferation is well
worth it. It's a shame it doesn't handle remote file systems more
elegantly.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and advice.
Terry

On Jun 9, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Daniel Bourque wrote:

> I keep an old RH7 VM running samba as a gateway to NFS shares for
> our older Mac boxes , because I was having problems with the
> ressource fork on newer implementations of samba. everything works
> perfect
>
> with newer versions of samba, I experience lock issues accessing the
> same NFS shares. So I also have samba running on ever NFS servers,
> and drives are mapped directly to the server were the file system is
> locally mounted.
>
> As Volker said, look into msfds. It will allow you to point your
> clients to one SMB server and access SMB shares off other servers in
> a transparent way.  You'll still need to install Samba on the NFS
> file servers you want to acesss.
>
> hope this helps
>
> Dan
>

> Terry Haley wrote:
>> So reading this, I assume that noone uses samba as a simple
>> authentication/gateway to network shares for windows machines.
>> Since you are limited to sharing local volumes on the PDC? How
>> would I go about setting up a passthrough for my machines to the
>> actual fileserver? Do I setup clients on the file server? do I have
>> samba point them with credentials to the file server?

>>> No, you should not re-export *any* file system you imported
>>> from some network file system. You should direct your
>>> clients at the original file server holding the storage, if
>>> necessary via msdfs redirects.
>>>
>>> Volker

dispose of the e-mail.