[Samba] Re: can samba keep uid/gid/permission on a per-file-base?

charles charlesaburrell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:53:42 GMT 2009

I've recently gave a similar setup a shot. The group and user id's will
remain. You can test the gid/uid they'll be the same on both boxes.
However the permissions weren't quite what I needed them to be; it seems to
use the umask of the "samba authenticated user" and ignore smb.conf create
masks.

For you're purposes, I'd suggest rsync+sshfs OR "cp -p --parents -u -f
/source /dest" + sshfs. It is up to you but rsync is made to do what it
seems like you require.

Although you'll need to worry about keys for ssh you'd also have to worry
about passwords for samba.

good luck.

--
Charles

Belmopan, Belize

"... we just love cars and we love driving them!"