[Samba] Problem installing printer drivers in Samba

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Jun 9 08:13:04 GMT 2009

A bit of follow-up.

> I am using the how-to at
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html
> It goes fine up to "installing drivers into [print$] using APW". I can
> see a list of drivers files growing into W32X86.
>
> But when I try to access the properties of a printer in
> \\samba\printers and faxs, it always tell me that there is no driver
> for that printer.
>
> When I try to connect any printer, it still says that I don't have the
> correct drivers installed and it offers to install the drivers on my
> Windows client.
>
> It is mentionned in the documentation above that Samba should keep a
> database of which driver corresponds to which printer. It could not
> see any such database, at least not in the .tdb files, I cannot find
> any ntdrivers.tdb in the Samba private directory.

I found the tdb's but:

ntdrivers.tdb seems OK, it lists the files used by each driver
ntprinters.tdb seems not OK:
   - the data associated to each printer is the same (I don't know what
     it means, but it's the same string of hexanumerical)
   - it contains one entry with the Unix printacp name as key while
     I defined "load printers=no"
   - it contains an entry for only one of the Unix printcap printers, not
     the others

When I add a printer driver to samba server [print$] I would expect to
see the association of the printer and the drivers reflected in one of
the tdb files, but apparently it never happens.

Help would be greately appreciated.

Bests,

Olivier