[Samba] Problem installing printer drivers in Samba

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Jun 9 03:08:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

After using the client driver for a long time, I want to give a try to
the drivers installed on Samba server.

I am using the how-to at
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html
It goes fine up to "installing drivers into [print$] using APW". I can
see a list of drivers files growing into W32X86.

But when I try to access the properties of a printer in
\\samba\printers and faxs, it always tell me that there is no driver
for that printer.

When I try to connect any printer, it still says that I don't have the
correct drivers installed and it offers to install the drivers on my
Windows client.

It is mentionned in the documentation above that Samba should keep a
database of which driver corresponds to which printer. It could not
see any such database, at least not in the .tdb files, I cannot find
any ntdrivers.tdb in the Samba private directory.

I have set-up Samba with LDAP, is this supposed to go into LDAP?

I am lost here.

TIA.

Olivier