[Samba] Make CIFS look like NFS

Edward Ned Harvey samba at nedharvey.com
Mon Jun 8 22:17:52 GMT 2009

> > protocol.  You can even reboot the NFS server in the middle of file
> > operations, and there will be no problem (just a delay) on the
> client.
>
> The same is true of a Samba server, as the clients are usually
> coded to do reconnects correctly (remember they originally were
> designed to work only with Windows servers :-).

If you're saying that linux cifs clients will gracefully handle server
reboots (or interruptions) I believe you - I've never had any reason to do
such a thing myself - But I know I've had within the last year, windows xp
clients connected via cifs and linux clients connected via nfs to a server
which spontaneously rebooted, and all the XP clients were disconnected (some
had to reboot to restore connection, while most just needed to manually
disconnect/reconnect) and the linux clients all paused for a little while
and continued as if nothing happened.  Maybe it wasn't nfs vs cifs which
saved the day on the linux clients - maybe it was linux vs windows that made
the difference.