[Samba] winbind with ports 445/139 blocked

Nick Bartos t30 at 2thebatcave.com
Mon Jun 8 18:31:05 GMT 2009

I have an annoying problem I'm hoping to get some guidance on.

I am able to use winbind with our local domain, however it does not work
with a remote trusted domain (it works fine for a local trusted domain).
>From the looks of things, winbind requires port 445 or 139 to be open to the
remote domain controllers, which it is not.

Apparently these ports are not required for the MS Windows clients to
authenticate to the remote domain, as they work fine.  Getting the ports
opened would either take an act of God, or some other deity.  So I was
hoping that there was a way to make winbind use other services like windows
does (rpc/ldap/whatever).

Thoughts?