[Samba] nmbd-daemon fails on startup without error

Mr. Tux tuxoholic at hotmail.de
Mon Jun 8 09:03:01 GMT 2009

Hello List

Sorry to bring it up again, but this error [1] posted by Stefan is affecting
my Lenny 5.0 installation as well.

[1] http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-March/146841.html

I don't have selinux installed, so it is not responsible.

*) I see in nmbd.log and smbd.log both services have started - no message other than that.
*) nmbd.pid still exists with pid entry inside, but pidof nmbd clearly shows this service
is no longer running. Timestamp of nmbd.pid is the same as smbd.pid, so it started the
same time and nmbd crashed without further notice.
*)My shares are accessible if I mount.cifs them with //SERVERIP/sharename, but they are
not advertised with nmbd service missing.
*) Output of testparm is attached bellow, it does not show any problems parsing the file.

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[gast]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
    workgroup = LENWRK
    server string = %h server
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*  \\
    %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[gast]
    comment = Guest share
    path = /guest
    valid users = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5, user6 #replaced real users
    admin users = root
    write list = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5, user6 #replaced real users
    force group = netshare
    read only = No
    create mask = 0764
    directory mask = 0765

I'm at my wits' end, luckily this error does not occur on *every* bootup, but 1 out of 5
bootups will fail like this. As soon as I restart samba everything is fine.

Thanks for sharing some thoughts on this!

Mr Tux