[Samba] password authentification

Edward Ned Harvey samba at nedharvey.com
Sat Jun 6 11:03:54 GMT 2009

> I am trying to setup samba so that it uses the password from my AD

> instead of having a password file in SAMBA.

> Can somebody tell me what I have to do on the windows 2003 side to make

> this work. I am guessing I have to setup a samaba acct in AD but not to

> sure. Can somebody please verify and maybe send me a screen print.

There are a million and one ways to do what you're trying to do.  The simplest way that I know of - you don't need to do anything on the Windows side.  You join the domain with the samba server, and that will create a computer account in AD for you, just as if you were joining AD with some windows laptop.  Here's how I do that on my systems:

I don't mess with the smb.conf file.  I admin the whole thing via SWAT, as follows:

1.  Enable SWAT.  Browse to http://localhost:901  (note: by default in the xinetd.d config, this interface is only enabled for localhost; by default you can't browse to this web interface across the network; you must use localhost or change the xinetd.d config)

2.  Go to Wizard.

a.  Server type:  Domain member

b.  Commit

3.  Edit Parameter Values

a.  Workgroup:  MYDOMAIN

b.  Realm:      MYDOMAIN.COM     (all caps)

c.  Commit changes

4.  Go to the command prompt.
net join -w MYDOMAIN -U administrator
(It's normal to get an error, as long as it says "joined" in the end and the computer account was created in AD)

5.  Restart samba