[Samba] OSX causing multiple CLOSE_WAIT's

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Fri Jun 5 03:52:23 GMT 2009

Brian,

Thanks.  I thought I was just my two OS clients.  From what I've been
reading lately, it seems to have been around for a while in different
releases of OSX.  Our set up is one Samba PDC that acts as a file
server for a bookkeeping business.  We have the mac machines as we
have a couple of artist clients who do all their work on Macs,
including their books.  We can't leave them connected to the network
for too long or I have to restart samba.

I did an strace and logged it here -
http://www.wrenkasky.com/reports/mac_strace.txt

I am not sure what to look for though.  Maybe someone can shed some light...

Ed

On 2009-06-03, 17:29:04 Brian Krusic wrote:
>Hi Ed,
>
>First, I feel your pain.
>
>While I don't have an answer, I did switch from OSX based Samba server
>to Linux and my problems went away.
>
>My experience in general with OSX server 10.5 is that its a horrible
>XSAN, NFS, AFP, SMB server.
>
>What I've used to help trouble shoot OSX in general in addition to the
>built in process viewer is XRG ( X Resource Grapher).
>
>You can also try to dtrace stuff.  Just type it in a term to see some
>help.
>
>There were some NFS bugs I uncovered and shared with the OSX Server
>dev guys which should be fixed in 10.6 server but who knows if that
>will also fix the plethora of other issues.
>
>- Brian
>
>On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:02 PM, Ed Kasky wrote:
>
> > Lately it never fails when I attach a Mac running OSX 10.5 that I
> > get runaway pid's.  I tracked them down so far to multiple
> > close_wait's:
> >
> > # /usr/sbin/lsof | grep pbg5mac
> > smbd      24876      root    6u     IPv4   80015755  TCP
> > yoda.wrenkasky.com:netbios-ssn->pbg5mac.wrenkasky.com:49381
> > (CLOSE_WAIT)
> >
> > They can grow to over 100 if I don't catch it or nobody can log on
> > anymore ;-)
> >
> > Anybody had any problems with Macs using samba?

Randomly Generated Quote (1505 of 1543):
Words have a longer life than deeds.
                 -- Pindar