[Samba] Changing samba PDC version but keeping the same IP address

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Thu Jun 4 08:05:21 GMT 2009

Frank Bonnet schrieb:
> We are on the way to upgrade our PDC from 2.2.8 to 3.2.11
> as we do not want to reconfigure the PDC IP address on several
> hundreds of windows XP clients we have chosen to keep the same
> IP address for the new PDC.

Why you use IPs on the client instead of names? Here we resolve everything by
Wins/DNS. So no need for using IPs.

> The problem is windows clients does not update the name of network
> drives and keep the old names even connected to the new PDC server
> and it's new shares ...

You mean the name of the server or from the shares?
If you keep the IP you can also name the new server as the old one (what I
would suggest). And if the shares also keep their names, nothing changes out
of client sight.

How are the shares connected? If you use a logon script, you can change this.
Just disconnect all old shares before you map it. And if the shares are mapped
with "/PERSISTENT:NO", they are automatically disconnected after logoff.

And don't forget to set the domain SID of the new server to the one of your
old server. Otherwise your clients doesn't accept the new server as PDC for
the domain, even if the domain name is the same.

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung IT)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost