[Samba] Samba+Ldap problems

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Thu Jun 4 00:03:35 GMT 2009

dogbert wrote:
> Ok, a little update on this issue.
> I've changed the various common-* within /etc/pam.d and I've obtained
> the following.
> Now I can connect with ssh or su with a user defined in ldap as long
> as this user is present also in /etc/passwd.
> It seems that the system check for the user account in /etc/passwd and
> then it check for password under ldap.
> Now if a user try to change his password (with the passwd command) it
> works through ldap.
> While using "getent passwd" I still obtain only the users contained in
> /etc/passwd.
I'd suggest having a good read of this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAPClientAuthentication

If you're still having no LDAP results show up with getent, then there's
issues with nsswitch still. The nsswitch.conf you sent me looks right,
so I'd put my money on a problem in your ldap client settings. Check
/etc/ldap.conf and /etc/ldap/ldap.conf and make sure anything set there
is correct. Also check that a basedn is set in one of them and the host
is set correctly.

You may also want to check you can access the LDAP data from an LDAP
viewer... I use phpldapadmin to check actual content, and LAM to manage
accounts. But any LDAP client that shows the tree will help.

TB