[Samba] logon script

johnh at primebuchholz.com johnh at primebuchholz.com
Wed Jun 3 19:09:48 GMT 2009

Sorry - didn't notice before that last message that you weren't using a VB
login script.

-John

From:
Liutauras Adomaitis <liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com>
To:
cr at rocon-it.de
Cc:
samba at lists.samba.org, Santhosh Kumar Gulla <santy4linux at gmail.com>
Date:
06/03/2009 02:58 PM
Re: [Samba] logon script

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Christian Rost <cr at rocon-it.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you don't have access to Samba variables from within your logon script.
The most convenient way to solve this is by using the "ifmember.exe"
executable from the Windows Server 2003 toolkit and to place it into your
netlogon share - you need to google for ifmember.

> With ifmember.exe you can test, if the user who is running the logon
script, belongs to the specified group. Use the following lines as an
example and add it to your logon script:

> <....snip....>
> \\%SERVER01%\netlogon\ifmember.exe /verbose tech
> if errorlevel 1 goto TECH
> :STOPTECH
>
> \\%SERVER01%\netlogon\ifmember.exe /verbose mktg
> if errorlevel 1 goto MKTG
> :STOPMKTG
>
> goto END
>
> ##
> ## TECH group
> ##
> :TECH
> if exist k:\nul net use /delete k: /yes
> if not exist k:\nul net use k: \\%SERVER01%\tech /persistent:no
> goto STOPTECH
>
> ##
> ## MKTG group
> ##
> :MKTG
> if exist l:\nul net use /delete l: /yes
> if not exist l:\nul net use l: \\%SERVER01%\tech /persistent:no
> goto STOPMKTG
>
> :END
> rem This is the End of your script
>
> <...snip...>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christian

I would suggest use ntlogon python script. Together with "root
preexec" and "root postexec" configuration options you can set up your
logon scripts to generated upon connecting to netlogon share.
I found this utility very useful and works very well. It supports
samba variables.
Mandriva ships this utility, so must other distributions.
There is problems with groups with spaces and capital letters, but it
is very easy to fix.

Liutauras

	This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it
	is addressed and contains valuable business information that is
	privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure.
	Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information
	herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee, or
	agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
	is strictly prohibited.  All contents are the copyright property of the
	sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are nevertheless
	bound to respect the sender's worldwide legal rights.  We require that
	unintended recipients delete the e-mail and destroy all electronic
	copies in their system, retaining no copies in any media.  If you have
	received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by calling
	our Help Desk at (603) 433-1143, or e-mail to it at primebuchholz.com.
	We appreciate your cooperation.