Antwort: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.3.4 Umlaut in Share comment

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Jun 3 16:31:11 GMT 2009

Quoting Howard Allison (howard.allison at pva.sozvers.at):

> > How is the smb.conf file encoded? Is it UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1?
> >

> > --
> I assume ISO8859-1(In the smitty 'convert flat file' menu UTF-8 isn't an
> option for the target - there are a few issues with the utf-8 packages for
> AIX 6... they don't seem to exist...

> In any case it's the same smb.conf that worked in 3.0.32...with umlauts...

IIRC, full Unicode-only internal handling on strings has only been
completed in 3.2 (samba developers would probably better confirm this
than me) so it wouldn't be surprising that it doesn't work anymore.

You really should convert that file to UTF-8:

iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 <smb.conf >smb.conf.new

Hopefully, AIX 6 has iconv..:-)...otherwise you need to edit the file
on an UTF-8 enabled system (any recent Linux distro is probably well
suited).

at worst, just try replacing the umlauts with ASCII characters, just
to see (of course that will lead to Ugly German...).