SOLVED Re: [Samba] Problems starting Server 2008 x64 after added to samba domain

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 21:15:17 GMT 2009

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009, Robert Ludvik might have said:

> Robert Ludvik pravi:
> >Hi
> >I have a problem with Windows Server Ent (and Std) 2008 x64 running on
> >IBM Blade Center. I can add it to the Samba domain but when I restart
> >it, it comes to "Applying computer settings..." and if I connect with
> >rdesktop I can see a screen saying "Please wait for the group policy
> >client" and after some minutes it restarts. I can boot it in Safe
> >mode, remove from domain and it will start with no problem.
> >I have no issues with Server 2008 Ent 32 bit running on PC.
> >Any ideas where can I look for help? I installed all updates and SP2 ...
> >Regards
> >Robert Ludvik
> >

> Don't expect something spectacular ;-)
> When you successfully add your 64-bit server to your existing domain,
> UNPLUG the network cable before you restart it. Wait until you get logon
> screen, plug the network cable back and login with your domain account.
> Has to do something with server wants to talk to PDC when it starts up
> for the first time after it's joined to domain to exchange some security
> info (or something, I don't care :-)
> Enjoy
> Robert Ludvik

I have a similar problem with windows server 2008 standard 64 bit. I
downgraded to windows server 2003 and the box works fine. Dell tech
support tells me that 2008 is 'too new' and will not work with the NT4
PDC that samba provides and that windows server 2003 support fixes from
microsoft will stop this year, so (dell says) I need to prepare and plan
to get rid of my samba pdc.

Mike