[Samba] Printer Question

Matt Richardson marichar at csusb.edu
Tue Jun 2 17:30:03 GMT 2009

Johan 'yosh' Marklund wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Not sure that this is the right list, but has anyone had any experience
> setting up a Konica Minolta Bizhub printer to use ldap authentication
> through samba?  I know that  the bizhub 250 that i have has built-in
> authentication, but it's really ridiculous when using the official linux
> drivers (they only support a one number username and a one number
> password e.g. 1:5 or similar). And since I'm setting up an ldap server
> it would be nice to handle all the authentication there instead of in
> the printer :/
>
> /yosh

If you already have samba and ldap working, you should be able to follow
Chapter 22[1] and the cupsaddsmb man page, using the PPD from Minolta
for your cups queue.  I had some weird issues with exporting the queues
to samba, but eventually it worked and the clients automatically
download the driver from the print server.  If the client is on the
domain and is allowed to use that print queue, they are in.  If the
client is not on the domain, the user is asked to authenticate before
the print queue pops up.

The cupsaddsmb man page is more current than the section regarding the
cups PS driver section in the how-to (it lists different files), so read
that before trying to do the "export to samba" from the cups web
interface or running cupsaddsmb directly.

[1]http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

good luck,
Matt

ps I didn't mean to direct you from one list to another only to try to
answer you here.  I thought someone here would have had a more relevant
answer for you than I have.

--
Matt Richardson
IT Consultant