[Samba] Samba + Ldap Unable to logon

bharat bharat.samaria at inventum.cc
Fri Jul 31 07:13:00 MDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to setup Samba with LDAP Authentication. I am using Samba
Version 3.0.25b-0.el5.4 and OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.43.
I was able to run Samba with tdbsam as password backend and was able to
join machine and authenticate XP users at logon.

Using the same configuration I have inserted all the directives required
for ldap password backend, and am able to join a machine to domain. The
problem is when I try to login to the Domain using the username/password
defined in ldap, I get the following message at logon prompt.

"The system cannot log you on due to following error:
The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the
message file for %2. Please try again or consult your system administrator."

and drops me back to the login prompt. Is this some kind of bug, in
Samba/Openldap/Windows ?

Please help.

If I dont log into domain and access the share using local system
accounts I am able to access all the shared folders for that user.

I am posting smb.conf below

[global]
  workgroup = MYDOMAIN
  netbios name = mydomain
  os level = 33
  preferred master = yes
  enable privileges = yes
  server string = %h server (Samba, Centos5)
  dns proxy = no
  name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  log level = 5
  max log size = 1000
  syslog only = no
  syslog = 0
  encrypt passwords = true
  ldap passwd sync = yes
#  passdb backed = tdbsam
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
  ldap admin dn = "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=in"
  ldap suffix = dc=domain,dc=in
  ldap group suffix = ou=groups
  ldap user suffix = ou=users
  ldap machine suffix = ou=computers
  passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  wins support = yes