[Samba] winbind and getent

John Stile john at stilen.com
Thu Jul 30 09:05:44 MDT 2009

I wonder if that means that you didn't join the domain, or you aren't
joining with a domain admin account, or you aren't performing operations
using an the credentials of a domain user.

Check you have the libs.
smbd -b |egrep 'KRB|LDAP' # Shows Samba has needed Libs.

Does /etc/krb5.conf look correct for your domain?

Check you have the libs.
smbd -b |egrep 'KRB|LDAP' # Shows Samba has needed Libs.

Time must be (i think) within 15 min between kdc and client
net ads info          # Show AD info including time
date                  # Check time on local host

Test if the client has been joined to the domain.
net ads testjoin      # Shows join is ok

If you run the following command without specifying a valid domain
'--user=', or the password is incorrect, you will see this:  "...Client
not found in Kerberos database"
net  ads search '(objectCategory=group)'

If you try to run the following command with a valid user, you will see
a huge dump.
net --user=myuser ads search '(objectCategory=group)'