[Samba] tdbsam.

Linux Addict linuxaddict7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 08:18:43 MDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de
> wrote:

> for
> authenticating
> >
> > > No argument with that statement - agreed.
> >
> > Is it common to have occasional db corruption? And is simply restarting
> > winbind the proper way to fix it? What if it doesn't?
>
> What kind of db corruption do you have? This is certainly
> not common, and restarting winbind is a very unusual way to
> fix that.
>
> Volker

> --

I dont know about other distros, but it certainly happens on Redhat
Enterprise and their KB says its a known problem.

So I far I am able to live up with occasional winbind restarts, but
eventually I wanted to move to ldap backend. When I implemenetd samba years
back(3.0.x), ldap backend would not support id mapping for trusted domains.

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-4842

"TDB file corruption is a known problem with Samba, which is difficult or
impossible to prevent from occuring. "

"When winbind's TDB files become corrupted, it is often necessary to stop
the winbind service, delete winbind-specific TDB files in /var/cache/samba,
and start the winbind service back up to re-generate a new idmap."

Let me know what you think.

~LA