[Samba] Samba and Active Directory

tsg tsg.samba at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:56:16 MDT 2009

Hi all.

We currently have WinXP users connecting to a RHEL4 samba share
authenticating to active directory. (the WinXP clients are NOT part of the
domain, and are out of our control). It all works fine.

We are now testing a CentOS5 samba share, with the sama domain controller as
before, but the WinXP users must login to the share as DOMAIN\username.  As
long as they prefix the login wth the domain, it works all ok.  But we'd
prefer for this not to happen.

I tried to use the same smb.conf/krb/nsswitch etc, but it seems a lot has
changed.

our RHEL4 runs samba-3.0.10-1.4E.11

our new CentOS5 runs samba-3.0.25c-1.2.el5

What changes do i need to get it working again?

 I'm a bit fuzzy on winbind.. but i did try
 winbind use default domain = Yes

So just to be sure, With samba 3.0.xx could users still authenticate to AD
WITHOUT prefixing the domain like we used to do on RHEL4?

Thanks.