[Samba] Bug[5305] NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:41:06 MDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Lukasz Szybalski<szybalski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Volker
>>> >

>>>  net rpc join  -I xx.x.x.xx -UAdministrator -w mydomainname -S delldebian2
>>> Enter Administrator's password:
>>> [2009/07/24 08:46:47,  0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(393)
>>>   Error in domain join verification (credential setup failed):
>>> NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME
>>
>> Ok, that's funny. Then probably "delldebian2" is *not* the
>> name of your domain controller. Please put the normal short
>> name of your DC into the -S argument.
>
> Thanks,
> That worked. I thought when you put "-I ipaddress " this would be the
> same as "-S machinename" but I guess not. I'll try to load the users
> to ldap now.

So now I've added appropriate settings to smb.conf and doing a
 net rpc vampire -S domain_machinename -W domainname -U Administrator

and I get:

Creating account: Administrator
Could not create posix account info for 'Administrator'

for all the users.

They do show up in ldap, but how can I be sure this was converted correctly?

smbldap-useradd -m ricky4

allows me to enter a person without any problems, but vampire gives above error.

http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/OpenLdap/NT4ToSamba
Thanks,
Lucas