[Samba] Only administrator works in ldapsam:editposix domain

Kyle Schmitt kyleaschmitt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 14:43:21 MDT 2009

I tried setting up a samba/ldap domain using the ldapsam:editposix
feature, using the brief instructions at
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Ldapsam_Editposix.

Everything goes rather smoothly, and I can add XP machines and log
into them as the Administrative user.

I added a user to the server, then to samba/ldap using smbpasswd -a newuser
ldapsearch -x shows the user & encrypted password, so I figure I'm good to go.

When log in with my new (non admin) user, I get an error about
catastrophic failure,
"Unable to complete the requested operation because of either a
catastrophic media failure or a data structure corruption on the
disk."

Hu, maybe the user isn't in the domain users group yet?

net rpc group addmem "Domain Users" newuser
Could not add newuser  to Domain Users: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_MEMBER
I tried a bunch of variations with the domain before one part or
another, and got pretty much the same error messages over and over.

What am I doing wrong?