[Samba] Strange samba problem with Win XP

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Fri Jul 17 23:33:33 MDT 2009

Ruel Luchavez wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Johan Hendriks <Johan at double-l.nl
> <mailto:Johan at double-l.nl>> wrote:
>
>     >Hello list,
>
>     >I don't know what is breaking my samba box but I am really very
>     >worried and confused !! My samba server has no problem with linux
>     >client. "smbclient -L <samba IP> -U <samba user>" runs well. No
>     >problem at all. But whenever I try to access the shares from
>     Win-XP it
>
>     >reports that "path not found". And after repeatedly trying the same
>     >Win-XP managed to get the share after waiting a long time. But it
>     lost
>
>     >the shares after say 15/20 min.  More over a mapped samba drive
>     >Immediately disconnected after restart !!! I am really really
>     >confused. All Linux clients are running so well but Win-XP.  I have
>     >checked the nmbd.log and found errors like
>
>     >```````````````````
>     >  process_node_status_request: status request for name ENTERPRISE<1b>
>     >from IP 192.168.1.41 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET - name not found.
>     >[2009/07/17 15:43:03, 1]
>     > snip
>     ........nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(328)
>
>     >Here is my smb.conf
>
>     >``````````````````````````
>     >[global]
>     >unix password sync = yes
>     >force create mode =0774
>     >utmp = no
>     >####smb ports = 139
>     >#####domain logons = no
>     >domain master = no
>     >os level = 65
>     >ocal master = yes
>     >preferred master = yes
>     >
>     >passwd program = /usr/sbin/userpasswd %u
>     >passwd chat = *password:* %n\n *password:* %n\n *successfully.*
>     >
>     >netbios name = Clarkconnect
>     >workgroup = Enterprise
>     >server string = ClarkConnect samba
>     >
>     >bind interfaces only = yes
>     >interfaces = lo eth0 eth1
>
>     >use client driver = yes
>     >snip .....................
>     >force user = apache
>     >deadtime = 10
>     >````````````````````
>
>     >testparm does not show any error. Please enlighten me what is
>     >wrong/missing here. eagerly waiting for a kind response.
>
>     >Thanks
>
>     I see you have 2 network interfaces in your smb.conf file.
>     Are they both in the same subnet.
>     If so remove one of them, and see if the problem goes away.
>
>     regards,
>     Johan

>     07/16/09 18:00:00
>     --
>

> Is your linux and windows client are in the same network?
> if not try to ping their gateway if time out occurs
> check your cable.

Hello,

Many thanks two both of you for your kind attention. Yes the Linux and
window clients all in in the same subnet.  I have really no problem with
linix clients. And the linux clients can happily continue with any one
of NIC of samba serevr. but Win-XP boxes have become worse.  The file
browsing has become very very slow !!!. Most of the time they repotrs
"network not found" . I have also run samba with only one NIC. BUT no
luck :-(
Any more clue which I can try ? Please suggest.

Thanks